Signed in as:
A short presentation of the History, Ecosystem and Inhabitants of Fox Creek.
A two minute video created by Walter Beals in January of 2021. Walter is a licensed drone pilot, a master juggler and a great friend of Fox Creek Park.
This is another Walter Beals Joint showing a Cohort Work Day in October of 2021. So many changes since that day!
Fox Creek is a new project being developed by The Swannanoa Community Council to create a walking path, wildlife habitat and educational resource for our community on the former site of Lake June in Grovemont
Prior to 1783 our property, like most of western North Carolina, was the home of the Cherokee People. While there is no evidence that the Cherokee lived in The Swannanoa Valley it was clearly an important crossroads for them and the many native peoples that traded and visited among themselves in the southern Appalachian Mountains.
In 1784 the first white settlers arrived from Davidson’s Fort (Old Fort). Among these settlers was John Alexander and his wife Rachel Davidson. They were the first non-native owners of the land surrounding our parcel that soon became part of the extended holdings of the Alexander family.
The land was passed down within the Alexander family until it was eventually inherited by Carrie Alexander in 1918.
Carrie Alexander sold 275 acres of her property, including our parcel, to E.W Grove in 1919. Mr. Grove incorporated it into his development “Grovemont-On-Swannanoa” and built the recreational lake known as “Lake June” on the property.
Following Mr. Grove’s death in 1927, the property was eventually sold by the trustees of his will to “Grovemont, Incorporated”, the real estate company that continued to sell parcels of land in the neighborhood.
In 1946 the property was sold as part of a 10 ½ acre parcel to Glen E. and Pauline A. Carroll. It comprised all the land bordered by East Charleston, Hawthorne, Ivanhoe and Summer Street and included the lake which apparently still existed. (Anecdotally, by 1960 the lake had been drained, although no clear information about when and how this happened is available)
The children and heirs of Glen and Pauline Carroll sold portions of this parcel as lots for homes until 2018 when the acreage that remained was purchased by Brent Allen. Brent apportioned several more home sites from his parcel, sold them, and then generously donated remaining 2.35 acres to The Swannanoa Community Council..
Now the Swannanoa Community Council, along with help from many of our neighbors, is moving forward with plans to turn this historical property into an educational and recreational resource for all.
Copyright © 2021 Swannanoa Community Council - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder
THE BEARS ARE BACK!
This big guy is a regular sight around the park now. He seems to be a new addition ths year.